Up PhotoAlbums » Postcards Prev Next Slideshow

MainAndWater-CarForRoricksGlen(1912PC)-Bjigsaw.jpg - The trolley car ride to Rorick's Glen was always the signal that a good time was in store for all involved. The ride began in a busy part of the city.The store on the left in the photograph (NW corner of Main & Water Streets) is Werdenberg's Inc., founded in 1898 by Andrew F. Werdenberg with a partner, Mr. Milton Cisco. In 1903, Mr. A. D. Merrill and Mr. Arthur Burt joined the company.The building on the opposite (NE) corner was occupied by Mr. Thomas Routledge, Jeweler; it was replaced in 1932 by the Gorton Coy Building. The company began in 1916 when Mr. Warren A. Gorton of Batavia purchased TYhe Fashion Shop of Mr. E. N. Crandall. The store closed in the 1970's.This corner was the location of the Tavern House (Franklin House). later it was known as the Higgins Blockl and the Padgett Block.The trolley car of the Elmira Water Light and Railway Company was called the "Setback" and it ran from the Rorick's Glen Loop to the end of the line at Clark's Glen. In this three-car arrangement,the powered trolley car pulled the two powerless former horse-drawn cars.

The trolley car ride to Rorick's Glen was always the signal that a good time was in store for all involved. The ride began in a busy part of the city. The store on the left in the photograph (NW corner of Main & Water Streets) is Werdenberg's Inc., founded in 1898 by Andrew F. Werdenberg with a partner, Mr. Milton Cisco. In 1903, Mr. A. D. Merrill and Mr. Arthur Burt joined the company. The building on the opposite (NE) corner was occupied by Mr. Thomas Routledge, Jeweler; it was replaced in 1932 by the Gorton Coy Building. The company began in 1916 when Mr. Warren A. Gorton of Batavia purchased TYhe Fashion Shop of Mr. E. N. Crandall. The store closed in the 1970's. This corner was the location of the Tavern House (Franklin House). later it was known as the Higgins Blockl and the Padgett Block. The trolley car of the Elmira Water Light and Railway Company was called the "Setback" and it ran from the Rorick's Glen Loop to the end of the line at Clark's Glen. In this three-car arrangement,the powered trolley car pulled the two powerless former horse-drawn cars.
Total images: 131 | Help
The "+" symbol displays the features bar, the "-" symbol minimizes it.